Sunday, June 24, 2007

"Dyke March"

I was in an IHOP with a friend during my college years who scolded me for using the term "Dyke." We were in D.C. where there are no lesbians so I guess the straight community decided the term "dyke" was unacceptable.

So yesterday, when my male roommate told me there was a "Dyke March" going on in the neighborhood, I thought he was being crass. However, this is the actual name of the march. When I told my lesbian friend that my former "community" of straight Washington D.C. government workers had forbidden the use of the word she seemed confused about why I chose to bring this information to her attention. What does she care?

I do think that if there is a "community" who can make this decision it is the women who participated in the march during San Francisco's Pride weekend. So from here on out I guess I can say "dyke" but it still makes me uncomfortable.

So yesterday I joined my friends in the park for some music and drinks in Delores park for the pre-march party. After a few hours the scene became an underage lesbian Girls Gone Wild. Clothes came off and certain unmentionable things began to happen. I had a great time even though I was not able to join in the fun.

I also learned what it means to have various bandannas/handkerchiefs sticking out of your back pocket. There is a complicated system of sexual preference communication going on here. Most of what they told me was about scat and being a top and a bottom. The internet elaborates:


http://www.pendorwright.com/faqs/hankies.html

No comments:

Post a Comment