Thursday, June 21, 2007

My Blackberry

People who own Blackberrys are usually complaining about some work related matter under their breath. The are always pulling out these strange objects in restaurants and have tantrums at a time when they should be relaxing.

I am one of these people.

I love my blackberry and I don't care that I am sometimes with a friend and while we are at a bar I pick up my blackberry and yell "fuck," put it back down and go back to my conversation. Sometimes people feel obliged to ask what happened. Don't! I just like to say fuck out loud when I get an annoying work email. I do it when I'm alone. Even though most of my life has been spent thus far crying out for attention, these actions are not part of that cry.

While I love my blackberry, I have to know my audience. My friend Pater has been taking me to artsy Jazz bars and places in San Francisco that make me want to learn to play an instrument, or quit my job and get into performance art. People dress in interesting outfits and smoke cigarettes while they talk about things like Harry Haywood and other stuff I know nothing about. I wish I was one of those people but my heart belongs to trashy reality television so what can I do? I had a few beer the other night at this bar that had a band that played amazing 1920s music and everyone danced the Charleston. I felt like I was in that scene in swingers where Jon Favreau starts dancing with Heather Graham and everyone seems to be moving in fastforward which intimidates poor Jon. I too was intimidated, but I loved every second of it. There is this world out there with people who really know how to have fun. I suddenly felt my purse vibrate.

AN EMAIL!!!!

When I took it out all of the people around me turned to stone. It was as if I had just brought Kentucky Friend Chicken into an Ashram. I had made this holy place impure. It was a client who had sent me some feedback from some work I did and I proceeded to read the entire email with the blackberry blaring light up into this world people consider to be a painting of what life should be like. But in my life I love to be able to go where ever I want and not be thinking about what my inbox will vomit on me when I get home. Its relaxing. So my painting includes a Blackberry. And a TV!!

No comments:

Post a Comment